Pocket Hose to the Rescue

God’s Garden #2 (in my backyard as opposed to God’s Garden #1 in Mom’s) looked a bit dry.  Seedlings were up and growing and we’d not had much rain.  To assist the okra, I watered the rows using a large laundry detergent bottle (I’d punched holes in the cap to allow the water to sprinkle out like a watering can).  That was time consuming and backbreaking work.

But, with the only water spigot in the front yard near the road, and my hosepipes far too short to cover the length required to go from the faucet to the garden, I felt this was my only option.

After several days of watering my okra in this manner, I noticed other plants were beginning to show a need of water…in fact, the whole garden was.

There was NO way I was going to have the time to water every plant in the garden by hand.  It would take me all day…ALL day.

I would have to hook my hoses to the spigot and see how far they would stretch.

And, so I did. In the two years that we’ve lived here, not once had I turned on the spigot to see if it even worked.  So, as I attached one of my hoses to it, I wondered if this was an exercise in frustration far more than I was yet to realize.

With one hose attached, I then attached the other hose to the end of the first hose. Now I had 150 feet of garden hose running from the spigot, across my front yard, toward the back gate and….

Wow – the length of hose didn’t even make it to the backyard gate.

I stood and stared at my old garden hoses.  The yellow one was pretty beaten up and I was certain one particularly bad area would leak.  The tan one looked kinked but sound.

I crossed the yard to the spigot and twisted the handle. Water began to leak from the connection – I tightened it until the leak was only an occasional drip.

Then, I looked back over the length of the hose.

Nothing was coming out the far end of it.  Everything was exiting through a hole in the yellow hose.  Everything. It was a gusher. Straight up into the air it sprayed.

I turned the water off and headed for the garage.

I’d bought a $2.00 hose mender earlier in the year – just in case.

This appeared to be as good a case as any to give it a try.

With the hose mender and a pair of scissors in hand, I headed back out to the hose. I cut out the bad section of the yellow hose and attached the hose mender to the newly cut ends.

It worked like a charm.

Then I remembered I’d purchased a Pocket Hose at the same time I’d purchased the hose mender. The plan was to hook it to my kitchen sink with an attachment and run it out the back door…mere feet from my garden. But, finding the right sized attachment to fit my sink was an adventure in futility.

Back into the garage I went to find where I’d stashed the Pocket Hose.  The instructions that came with it said it would stretch to 50 feet in length.

With the Pocket Hose attached to the other hoses, I turned the water on again and watched for additional leaks.

Everything looked good.

The Pocket Hose expanded and lengthened as water filled it.  Snake-like in appearance, it wriggled on the ground….

The additional 50 feet (plus) that the Pocket Hose provided took me through the backyard gate and into the midst of the garden where I was able to reach each corner with spray from the hose.

Ahhh…Pocket Hose to the rescue – no more lugging heavy bottles of water for me!

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Pocket Hose to the Rescue

  1. Pingback: Pocket Hose Review | suzansays

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s